Friday, October 19, 2012

You Dog, You

The following morning, Kenneth woke up and sleepily looked out the window. Lisa was soon to follow as the lack of Kenneth's warmth woke her up. "Good morning, Kenny."



"You know that I prefer Kenneth-" He was quickly cut off as he saw Lisa. Kenneth had gone to bed before Lisa and never saw her change in to her night clothes. This was the first time he had ever seen her in such an outfit. "That's... That's what you wear to bed...?" Lisa formed a sly smile. "Yep... Every night..." She slipped passed him and in to the bathroom. Kenneth got his cool together and headed in to the other bathroom down the hall to get ready for the day as well.


While Kenneth was working on his newest painting, Lisa was looking through the newspaper. For the longest time, Lisa had wanted a dog. After all, she was a dog person. What's a dog person without a dog! Finally she had found the one she wanted. A cute little girl that was a little Hyper, a bit Clueless, but an over all Genius. And the best part was that she was a small breed, so when she grew out of her puppy stage, she wouldn't take up too much room. However without telling Kenneth or even voicing that she would like a dog, she called the number in the ad and had the owner come to the house to drop the puppy off.


The new puppy and Lisa got along immediately.


Lisa named the puppy Ella Fitzgerald after the famous singer because she likes to scat. Ba-dum-psh.


"I'm going to love you and hug you and get you all the finest things." Kenneth called out from the inspiration room. "Who was that, Lisa?" Lisa paused. "Oh yeah..."


Lisa hesitantly brought Ella in. "So you know how I really like dogs?" "Mmm.." Kenneth grunted, focused in his work. "Well I have a surprise for you! Meet Ella." It took Kenneth a moment to register what she had said. Finally he looked over. "You... You got a dog?" "Yep! I love her already and I want her to stay can I keep her please!?" Kenneth blinked. "I... guess..." "Great! I have to go get doggy supplies."


Lisa sat Ella down and ran off to the store. Kenneth knelt down and let the puppy sniff his hand. "Huh..."


He smiled and cooed at her. "I suppose you're not so bad. You're a cutie aren't you?" Kenneth watched her for awhile before getting the idea to make a painting of her, which he later hung in the living room.


When Lisa came home, she immediately got to work cooking up some home made pet food. She wanted the very best for her sweet little puppy.


That night, however, they had to leave Ella alone as Nicolas and Alison were throwing a party.


After welcoming them in, Kenneth gave Allison a big hug. "Hi mom, it's good to see you again." "It's good to see you as well. I love seeing my babies. How have things been?"


"Well..." Kenneth made sure Lisa was busy before whispering in his mother's ear. "I'm thinking of asking Lisa to marry me..."


Allison gasped. "Really!? Oh Kenneth!" Kenneth shushed her. "Mom...! I don't want her to know yet.." Allison tried to put on a straight face. "Yes, of course. Sorry... I'm so happy, I hope she says yes. She's such a darling girl and I know she cares for you deeply." After the party, the couple went home. Now that Kenneth had told his mother, he felt a bit of pressure. He did want to ask Lisa to marry him but he hadn't voiced the thought until now.


But he had to wait until the right moment. For now he was content working on his new book while Lisa bonded with Ella.


------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'd like to thank my mom for that little quip about Ella liking to 'scat'. I had told her the name of the dog and she retorted with that little gem. For those of you who don't know, scat can both mean poop and a sort of improve singing.



No comments:

Post a Comment